Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Today i am in a pensive mood. Mind is full of chaotic thoughts. I cant seem to catch hold of one particular thought and process it. Usually there are times when i feel this dull tension in the pit of my stomach, and i would have been too busy to pause and take stock of my feelings. Then as it grows within me, i realise that my mind has been nagging me to slow down and think what is it, that has been bothering me..... It is exactly what happened to day, rather now, to be precise,..... im feeling really tensed or i should be more accurate, as if there is something i have missed doing .... so like always, i sat down, n thought.............. Then i realised that its due to the fact that i am supposed to book tickets to go to Mangalore next weekend. The travels guy had told me last month that its too early to book then, to come in the beginning of this month. I had made a mental note to do the same, and promptly forgot all about it. 

See the amazing powers of our mind, it was mental alarm of sorts!!! if i had been too busy to think it through, then i would have missed this real important thing..... This is not just a one time incident, it has happened to me lots of times, when i have kept wondering what it was that was tensing me up.... then sometimes as late as a day later, i get to the root of the matter!! In a world that is ruled by technology and gadgets of every kind to do our work, we underestimate the power of our mind. The human mind is the most complex computer there is, even then we prefer the mechanical kind. 

When i see my son, asking me all these questions, i can literally see the wheels of his brain 'whirring' away, but on an older person this is not the case. The reason being, we tend to put our super brains to rest and depend on the mechanical brain to all the work. how do we re-use our brains again and keep ourselves mentally agile and fit? Im sure there must be multiple exercises that the good doc can prescribe for us, but then again these will require some type of machine or other to aid us. I have been thinking bout this a lot and realised simple tasks that we do daily can help, prod the brain out of inactivity. 1. When ever we do any calculation small or big, so i manually using the good ole brain! 2. Make it a point to memorise any numbers that come your way on everyday basis, like : phone nos, tally the groceries etc. 3. The best way is to learn the tables all over again, and make it a point to go beyond what was taught at school. so lets all try to be younger at mind along with our bodies!! heres cheers!! to a better future with agile and alert minds!

3 comments:

Satish N said...

Looks like you started off on a personal note and ended up in advice :) As you rightly said, our brain is a super organ which cannot be matched with any mechanical medium.

I hope you get your tickets to Mangalore soon :)

sangi said...

ur right satish... started as a personal note, but again, its something that i keep hearing all the time.. "im loosing memory", "cant remember anything" etc.etc... so i thot why not write up something relating to that....

Satish N said...

Excellent piece of story ... I liked the narration a lot, it was as if, Geetha was talking to me. Looks like this is your first story ?? am I rite ??